Thursday, May 6, 2010

How much of God is too much?

I have spent the past couple of months really trying to get over this notion in my head that I am closer to God on Sunday morning than I am on Tuesday afternoon.

I will try to remind myself while I'm working that God lives inside of me. His Holy Spirit is watching me and trying to purify me and lead me when I do an audit or write an order. When I mop the floors, I try to remember the Scriptures that talk of working not for men, but for God. (Colossians 3:23-25)

I have had some cool moments trying to live like this. I truly do feel like I am worshiping at times, when I praise him for the healthy body he has given me to work, for the job I have, for letting me be competent at it.

I have also had some bad moments, when I catch myself thinking evil thoughts, or getting upset at customers, or just generally being a grinch. God will just reinforce his presence in my life, as if to say "Do you think I don't care what you do, or how you think, outside of church? Do I only want you to become more like my Son on Sunday and Wednesday?"

There is a little book written by a monk whose name was Brother Lawrence. He titled the book "The Practice of the Presence of God." He reached the point where he felt as close to the Savior washing dishes as he did reciting prayer. I would encourage you guys to read it, and to think on what he is proposing.

God wants us to worship him in ALL things. We are told to give thanks to God for everything in Ephesians 5:20. When was the last time you thanked him for your drive to work? When was the last time you thanked him for the boss you have, and the specific co-workers you are surrounded by?

Instead of grumbling about the drive and traffic, try to praise him for providing for your needs with a job. Instead of harboring resentment about the bad attitude of your co-worker, or the tyranical zeal your boss has for filing your paperwork, pray for them. If they don't have Christ, all they have is this world. And the last time I looked, it was pretty bad. So don't marvel at how bad they act. Give thanks that God saved you, and he has given you something greater to hope for than what this world offers (John 16).

We need God every second. I am humbled and appalled that I go hours, days, sometimes weeks without really tapping into this truth. He is our life.

I plead with you guys, especially the married ones, MAKE ROOM FOR GOD. Life becomes so cluttered because we fill it with so many things. God is gracious to us, and he allows us to feel his presence wherever we are. If you wish to talk to him at work, he will be there. At the gym, he will answer your call.

But don't spend your life fitting God in. Don't make it where the only time you talk to him is on your coffee break, or on the drive somewhere.

Single people have this problem too, but it's the married couples that I see who make 'good' excuses why they don't have time.

"We have kids to take care of, and events to get them to."

"The house doesn't pay for itself, and if I am a good steward of what God gives me, I will work my butt off to pay for it and give my family nice things."

"I've been in this pattern for too long to change it now."

Please wake up! Please!

God desires your hearts. He should have destroyed us for our sins, but he loved us and sought us to forgive our sins and to heal us. (Jeremiah 3)

I will close with a hymn that I think we would all do well to think on, and wonder when we last felt like this.

"I Need Thee Every Hour" by Annie S. Hawks

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
Refrain:
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.
I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their pow’r when Thou art nigh.
I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.
I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.
I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment