Wednesday, June 16, 2010

THE TWO DRAWERS

We have these two drawers in our kitchen that have become catch-alls for "things". These "things" seemed important at one time in the past. These two drawers had become so full that you could find only those "things" in front. To search through the full drawer was only frustrating.

Well one day I had enough. I decided to straighten these two drawers out. SO, I drug the trash can over and I got a chair. I sat down (on the chair) and began to straighten. I found several pens that didn't work. Screws, nails and metal pieces that didn't go to any thing. Memos that had faded to a non-readable state. One drawer had 10 or 12 votive candles scattered all over, a single piece of gum and candy. Keys to nothing, coupons 2 and 3 years out of date. Well, I'm sure you get the point. There was very little of value left.

As I was going through the drawers, a thought occurred to me that these drawers are like my mind. I fill my head with worldly "things" during the day. During the week. During the month. You get the idea. I do this to the extent that good spiritual "things" have a hard time getting in. I just use the "things" on the top or in the front. These "things" do not have to be sinful. They are things like television, vacations, church work, golf, children's games. My point is that our minds become so full that we have trouble communicating with God.

Where I'm going with this is in Philippians 4:6-9. I will let you look it up. Basically, vs 6 & 7 tell how to obtain God's peace, and vs 8 & 9 tell how to keep it.

Verse 8 is what I thought of when cleaning the two drawers:
Finally, Brethren, whatsoever things are true,
Whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise,, think on these things.

If we keep our minds on the "things" of vs 8, we will become closer and closer to what God wants for us in our lives. So, I think we need to "straighten" out the drawers of our minds daily. That way we will be able to find God quickly. We will not have to search through the clutter.

Jim Capps

No comments:

Post a Comment